Minnesota Veterinary Technician Certification Application

Veterinary Technician Certification Requirements (new technicians)

To become a Certified Veterinary Technician in Minnesota, candidates must:

  1. Submit an Application for Certification in Minnesota
  2. Be a graduate of an AVMA accredited Veterinary Technology program
    1. Require copy of diploma or official transcript 
  3. Have a passing score on the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE)
    • Note: If you took the VTNE in another state and were not credentialed, you must request a score transfer from the AAVSB.
  4. Pay the $75.00 Application fee 
    1. NEW! Expediting Fee (+$100) available for submissions to be reviewed in 5-7 business days (versus the standard 4+ weeks). ***Please note that we are unable to expedite applications until all required documentation has been received. 

***Passing the VTNE does not automatically grant you certification in the state of MN; an application is required!

Apply for Certification:

Note: VTNE Scores are considered “Active” for 2 years after the exam pass date; applicants must apply for certification within the 2-year period. Applications received after 2 years are subject to additional requirements.

Transferring Credentials from Another State

If you are currently credentialed in another state and seeking certification in Minnesota, the following information must be received by the MVMA office: 

     1) Application to the MVMA:
                Apply Online (if you are already certified in MN and are trying to renew your certification, click here)
                Mail Certification Application to the MVMA   
2) Copy of diploma or official transcript from an AVMA accredited program
     3) Request a VAULT score transfer from the AAVSB

***Credentials must be current (not expired) in order to transfer. If expired, you may be subject to additional requirements. 

Transferring to another State?

To request a verification letter, please email mariaN@mvma.org. Information needed: your name, a phone number you can be reached in case of questions, and the state and address to which you would like the verification sent. This service is no charge for active CVT's and $10 for lapsed CVT's. 

For other details about a state's specific credentialing requirements, please contact the credentialing body in that state for more information.


Continuing Education Credits and other Resources